Are masks required on campus?

Masks are optional on campus, but are encouraged when you are in close proximity to others.

Do I have to report my COVID-19 vaccination status to the University?

As restrictions continue to ease, students and employees are no longer required to report their vaccination status.


Am I required to be tested for COVID-19?

All campus-mandated testing has ceased. 


Can I still get tested for COVID-19 on campus?

The testing center in South Village Crossing (SoVi) has closed. Students may contact the Student Health Center at 704-687-7400. Employees should contact their healthcare provider.


Can I still get a COVID-19 vaccine on campus?

Students seeking a COVID-19 vaccine should contact the Student Health Center at 704-687-7400. Employees should contact their healthcare provider or a local pharmacy.


What event restrictions are in place?

Indoor gathering restrictions have been lifted. Indoor events will be allowed to take place at the full capacity of the room. There are no outdoor gathering limits. We will continue to reassess this safety measure and keep the campus updated on any changes.


Will wastewater sampling continue?

Yes, wastewater sampling will be conducted each week. Results will be posted here and students and staff may choose to be tested if they are in an impacted area.


Why am I still receiving a Niner Health Check if it is no longer required to be completed?

Students and employees will continue to receive the Niner Health Check, but there is no longer a penalty if it isn’t completed. If you experience any symptoms, you are encouraged to complete the health check. Otherwise, you can delete the email. 


What should I do if I am sick or believe I have been exposed to COVID-19?

  • You should complete the Niner Health Check. 

  • Students who experience significant or prolonged upper respiratory symptoms, have chronic illness (i.e. asthma) or who are immunocompromised should consider an evaluation by their healthcare provider or call the Student Health Center at 704-687-7400 for advice regarding care.

  • If quarantine or isolation is needed, you will be asked to return to your permanent, off-campus residence to recover. If you have symptoms of COVID-19 that require isolation and do not have an off-campus residence, Housing and Residence Life may be able to provide a temporary isolation space based on extenuating circumstances. Temporary isolation spaces are limited and only provided if space is available.

If you cannot find the answer to your question on this website, email your inquiry to

Updated: Jan. 4, 2023